Pre Thanksgiving Dumbbell Fat Loss Circuit
How To NOT Gain Weight
During The Holidays
The holiday season is the time to bring people together. Celebrate. See family…. And gain unwanted weight.?.?.?.
It’s why, in a survey done about New Years Resolutions, 45% of people had “Lose weight or get in shape” as part of their resolutions.
And this time of the year plays a BIG part in that. Between Thanksgiving (for some, Halloween!), and New Years, a lot of people gain unwanted weight. I’ve asked a few people about past years weight gains. Some said 5-10lbs, some went up to 15+lbs.
That’s a lot of weight in such a short amount of time. So, I wanted to share some tips, and tricks to combat that seasonal weight gain.
1. Maintain a normal workout routine.
2. Don’t skip workouts. 10 or 15 minutes is better than nothing.
3. Get proper sleep (less sleep= more cravings).
4. It’s ok to say NO. To seconds, extra food, more wine…
5. Fill your plate with a lot of protein and veggies. Aim for at least 70%.
6. 1 plate rule. Fill it up. No second trips.
7. For salads, choose oil based over creamy dressings
8. Be picky with food. Eat the food you REALLY want. Not just because it’s there.
9. No grazing. Hold a convo or catch up with people away from the kitchen.
10. Be mindful of snacking. Eating the cookie is fine. Eating the whole tray, not so much.
11. Don’t have back to back unhealthy meals.
12. Be mindful of alcohol. Liquid calories add up quick!
13. Go for a walk after a big meal.
14. Keep stress levels down. Meditate, do yoga.
15. Enjoy yourself! Any unwanted weight that you put on can go away once you’re back into a normal health/fitness routine.
Kettlebell Fat Loss Workout
- Kettlebell Swings x20
- Kettlebell Hang Clean & Press x10 each
- Kettlebell Lunge to Chest Press x10 each
- Kettlebell Single Arm Swing x10 each
- Kettlebell Hang Squat Clean x20
15 Benefits Of Strength Training
Strength training (or weight training/ resistance training) is anything that provides your body/muscles will resistance while in movement. To, safely, load and overload muscles so it needs to adapt and get stronger.
*Quick Sidebar: Strength Training will not make you huge or bulky. That all comes down to your nutrition.*
Strength Training Benefits
1. Makes you stronger.
2. Increase metabolism. Which in turns…
3. You burn more calories (even at rest).
4. Improve bone strength, structure, and density.
5. Natural energy booster.
6. Improve mood.
7. Improve symptoms of depression.
8. Improve symptoms of anxiety.
9. Better balance.
10. Better coordination.
11. Better posture.
12. Lowers injury rates.
13. Helps control blood sugar levels (type 2 diabetes).
14. Helps decrease arthritis pain.
15. Live a longer life.
Make sure you’re adding strength training to your daily routine. Can be weights, machines, bands, or even your own bodyweight.
When people start to think about getting healthy and in shape, proper sleep doesn’t come straight to mind. It should!
Not getting enough sleep (6.5-7-8 hours) can have negative effects on your mind and body. It can even make you sick and put you at a higher risk of certain illnesses.
Here’s all the things that can happen to you without the proper amount of sleep:
Make bad eating choices
Weight gain & obesity rates go up
Higher risk of catching a cold
Risk of stroke increases
Risk of some cancers increases
Diabetes risk goes up
Heart disease risk increases
Sperm count decreases
Higher levels of anxiety
Higher levels of depression
Risk of having high blood pressure
Lose sex drive
Some of these effects can start to happen after just one night of little sleep.
Proper sleep should definitely be a part of your health and fitness plan. Get your sleep schedule in order before you even step into a gym. It’s THAT important.